Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Light Bulb Moment



"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."  Thomas Edison

DAY 11:  There's a substance stronger than any known to man ... in fact, I don't think it's even from this Earth.  It is IMPENETRABLE.  Even if you could find some of those weapons of mass destruction, they wouldn't even make a dent.  It's the stuff found in the "I Don't Get Any of This" wall.  As soon as I hear that dire phrase, the one that strikes fear into the hearts of even the most stalwart of educators, I can almost see the 10-foot thick wall built with that impervious substance SLAM down between me and the student.  Attempting to chip away at it with even the most leading and probing of questions (without actually giving answers, of course), is like going at that barrier with a toothpick.  The "I Don't Get It" wall is a monster and I am ALWAYS thankful for that moment when you see the light bulb blink on, the wide-open eyes, and the grin that can burn a hole straight through that damn wall.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely! And it's a teacher like you who will persist with the toothpick that allows the light to shine through.

    ReplyDelete