Thursday, October 15, 2009

Moving On



"I chose and my world was shaken. So what?
The choice may have been mistaken; the choosing was not."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 6:  This is a topic I'll probably revisit more than a few times during the lifetime of this blog, because it's something I think about A LOT ... and I don't admit that easily.  I'm very unlucky in love, but saying that suggests that I play no part in and have no control over those failures.  That fact is, I play a LARGE role in those failures and, as the saying goes, I'm the only common element in all of them.  The quote that starts this post is my favorite musical theatre lyric of all time, and is probably my favorite quote PERIOD.  Whenever the "love of my life" doesn't work out, I try my best to remember this quote. 

I try not to let loneliness get the better of me ... and most of the time I succeed.  I try not to succumb to the fear that I will grow old and die alone ... and most of the time I can remind myself that I am far from alone.  But I'm most certainly grateful for the lessons my choices have taught me ... with each "failure," I become a stronger person and I learn more about who I am, who I'm looking for (or, more importantly, who I'm not looking for), and what I expect from a partner.  Perhaps that person is just around the corner ... could be ... who knows?

Today, I'll leave it at that ... more later on this topic ...

2 comments:

  1. You're something else. Turning your "unlucky" love life into a topic of gratitude. Yes, the someone for everyone is there. I believe that. As to being alone? Fat chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep searching. Eventually you will find that someone who, once he meets you, will start his own "Blog of Gratitude".

    ReplyDelete