Saturday, October 31, 2009

New Words



"The worst thing you've ever written is better than
the best thing you've never written."

DAY 22:  My friend, Ian, who held a playwriting workshop that I attended for many years used to say this every now and then.  I think he was quoting one of his graduate school playwriting professors, but it has stuck with me and I try to remind myself of this from time to time.  Last night, I went to see a production of an original play here in Jacksonville, and I will be seeing another in a few weeks.  Though I thought last night's play had promise but lacked a clear focus and needed some serious restructuring, I also realize that this playwright was actually having his work produced on a stage, which is more than can be said about anything I have penned. 

I love to write ... always have.  I was the editor of my high school literary magazine and currently have at least a dozen ideas for plays or musicals kicking around ... some are merely concepts but many have written outlines, and even dialogue and scene work.  I don't find the time to work on my writing, and I should - and that includes a series of educational children's books on Physics that I have tossed around in my head for years, and a few ideas for novels.  I am very self-critical and worry a bit that nothing will ever be "finished" in my eyes, but how will I know if I never actually try to finish something ... anything?  So tonight, I'm grateful for new theatre works that remind me to get to work and start writing again!

1 comment:

  1. Ah-this explains the style and grace of your blogging!

    As to the novels, scenes, and children's books they will definitely never be finished, if you don't start them!

    ReplyDelete