Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Paying It Forward



"I'd do anything for you, dear, anything ..."
Lionel Bart

DAY 18:  I'm grateful my momma and daddy raised me right.  I'm kind and respectful to waiters and other service people, I hold doors open for folks behind me, I'm polite even to phone solicitors (even though I hang up in their ears IMMEDIATELY after saying "No, thank you ..."), let people out in traffic, and pick up trash even if it isn't mine.  I've noticed a serious lack of courtesy and manners over the past few years and I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with this "entitled" generation that our society is producing.  I rarely get a "thank you" wave when I let someone out in traffic or even a vocal "thank you" when I hold the door for someone.  It's quite bothersome, but it certainly doesn't prevent me from acknowledging courtesy when it's given to me.  So, it was a nice reminder this past weekend when I accidentally left a bundle of paper towels behind at the checkout lane at Target and the woman in line behind me rushed out to get it to me after she checked out.  She even wished me a nice day after I thanked her.  What kind of world would this be if we were ALL this kind, respectful, polite, and courteous to each other ALL the time?

3 comments:

  1. We were raised by similar folks. In complete agreement with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please and thank you out in public or whacked on the bottom back home! It worked for me and it's non-negotiable with our child.

    If more politicians had been raised by your folks, maybe I could stomach watching the news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have written several times about the "entitlement" generation in emails to friends and family. As you already know, the children of this generation are very hard to teach! How do you convince a student who has been given evrything that he/she should work hard and make something of themselves.

    Oh no, I think I feel a blog coming on...

    ReplyDelete