Friday, October 30, 2009

Track One



"Nothing to lose ... let it start."  Lynn Ahrens

DAY 21:  I didn't have a clue what to write today.  Tonight, I went to a theatre production featuring my friend Susan, who had burned me a copy of Liz Callaway's new solo CD "Passage of Time."  On my way home, I began playing the CD and wound up listening to Track One repeatedly at least a few times.  It's a philosophy of life I've been trying to get a handle on for years in a simple song with beautiful lyrics.  It came as no great surprise to me when I reached home to discover that the song was written by perhaps my favorite songwriting team, Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens.  It's a terrific album filled with stirring, heartfelt interpretations and clever, but unexpected, song pairings.  But it was that amazing first track that I'm truly grateful for tonight ...

"Nothing to Lose (But Your Heart)"

Someone leaves and closes the door,
And you're sure love's over forever.
And you've wasted too much time believing
You have no time anymore.

Well, I know how hard it can be,
And I know how frightened you're feeling.
And I know the pain of starting over ...
No one knows better than me.

But the world calls your name,
I can see your breath on the window of life.
Take my hand -
I promise something new will start.
You have nothing to lose but your heart.

Let your tears fall like the rain.
You and I once filled up the ocean.
But if I knew then what I know now,
There's not a thing I would fear.

'Cause the world calls your name,

I can see your breath on the window of life.
Take my hand -
I promise something new will start.
You have nothing to lose but your heart.

Nothing to lose ... let it start.

'Cause the world calls your name,

I can see your breath on the window of life.
You and love are really not so far apart.
And there's nothing to lose ...
 
Let the world call your name,
Can't you see your breath on the window of life?
Take my hand -
I promise something new will start.
You have nothing to lose but your heart.
 
Nothing to lose ... but your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment