Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Summer Lovin'



"Summer lovin', had me a blast ..."
Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey

DAY 32:  OK, OK, so it's not THAT kind of summer lovin', but since theatre is one of my greatest loves, I have two VERY HOT dates for next summer.  I have a private list (as do all directors) of the shows I'd do almost anything to direct.  What are the chances that I'd get the opportunity to do two of them BACK-TO-BACK? 

I had already signed on to do Jason Robert Brown's Parade at Players by-the-Sea to open mid-July and that has me thrilled beyond belief.  Two nights ago, a dear friend gave me the inside track and clued me in on ABET's plans to stage The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee.  He suggested I contact them right away and let them know of my ravenous interest in directing the show.  Within 24 hours, I was being offered the show and I couldn't be happier.  It goes up in mid-September of 2010, which means not only will the two shows be back-to-back, but there will probably be a little overlap between Parade's final weeks of rehearsal and Spelling Bee's opening weeks of rehearsal.

It's also very exciting because the two shows couldn't be more different.  Parade - a HUGE, dark, intensely dramatic love story involving murder, justice, and racism in the early part of the 20th century.  Spelling Bee - a gut-bustingly hysterical, though poignant, very contemporary (and perhaps a little naughty) "chamber musical" about a middle-school-aged spelling bee.  The only thing they have in common is they both feature REMARKABLY difficult music for the performers (but almost no dancing ;-).

This past summer, I was VERY idle between the closing of Into the Woods and the start of school.  Though I love having time off over the summer, I do get bored very quickly.  This coming summer couldn't be more different - with these two shows AND a week-long trip to Ireland, it's going to be an exhausting but EXHILARATING summer!!  I CAN'T WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment