Monday, November 30, 2009

Here's to Us



"Who's like us?  Damn few ..."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 52:  My Biology teacher from North Branford High School in Connecticut, Mrs. Manzo, and I have kept in sporadic contact over the years, mostly by way of Christmas cards.  It's a subject for a different OhGeeJay post, but I credit her with being my inspiration to pursue teaching as a career.  I bring up Mrs. Manzo now, though, to say that the last time we spoke (which was unfortunately quite some time ago), she asked me to call her "Joyce."  I COULDN'T DO IT ... I was probably in my late 30's and there was no way I was going to call Mrs. Manzo, "Joyce."  No way, no how.

I'm grateful (and BOY, how I'm grateful) that I now count among some of my nearest and dearest friends past students of mine from Douglas Anderson School of the Arts.  It's a particularly special bond, and it's a wonderful thing that we have grown past the student and teacher "thing" and treat each other truly as equals.  I don't consider or see any of these "old friends" as past students ... they are simply my friends and PEERS.

Of course, some of them joke that they still have trouble calling me "Michael." 

You know what?  I TOTALLY get it ...

... just ask "Joyce"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment