Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bosom Buddies



"Remember that
Who else but a bosom buddy
Will sit down and level,
Will give you the devil,
Will sit down and tell you the truth?"
Jerry Herman

DAYS 78-79:  Oops ... I just realized I forgot to post yesterday ... oh well ...  Instead of "fibbing" and changing the date on this post, I'll just let this one cover two days.

Anyway, I'm grateful for the time I've been able to spend the last two days with two of my closest friends, Marcia and Martin.  I'm afraid I've had the (probably well-earned) reputation of being rather aloof and unapproachable.  It's not a reputation I'm fond of and it's something I try to work on daily - being more open and available.  Despite what some may think, I'm extremely introverted and not terribly "good" around people I don't know very well.  It does take quite some time for me to "warm up" to new friends, but I'd like to think that once I do, I'm an open, generous, available, and "faithful-to-the-end" friend.  The end result is that there's a very small handful of BEST friends in my rather large group of friends (through school, theatre, and music) who have seen "the real me."  These are the people I will call when I'm at my lowest (and also at my highest) - the "emotional mess" part that most people don't see behind the typically calm and cool exterior.

I've known Marcia and Martin each for over twenty years.  I met Marcia not only because her daughter, Brooke, was one of my first students at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts, but also because I've done quite a few community theatre productions with her both onstage and as a director during those two decades.  I met Martin through a student at Douglas Anderson and he's really the only MALE "best friend" I have.  When he lived in Jacksonville, he was the person I would most likely go out to grab a bite or see a movie with.  Unfortunately, he now lives in Atlanta, so we only see each other when he comes home to visit his family, usually over the holidays.

I'm posting about the two of them at once because there are some distinct similarities.  First, we have REMARKABLY similar tastes.  When it comes to music, movies, and books, what I like, Marcia and Martin typically like, and vice-versa.  The second, and probably more important, similarity is that Martin and Marcia are my cynical (and I mean that in the best possible way, believe it or not) realists who will tell me EXACTLY what they think when they get one of "those" calls from me.  It's not necessarily about sparing my feelings or telling me what I want to hear, but telling me what I NEED to hear.  They are my hard-liners.  In that handful of friends, I also have the comforters and supporters who tend to be a little more optimistic.  Between the two, it gives me that "happy medium" of advice.

I've been very fortunate this weekend to spend substantial time with Marcia and Martin.  I went to the movies with Marcia and dinner with Martin yesterday and to the movies with Martin today.  As I've said in previous posts, this has been a really terrific vacation with LOTS of time with friends and family - and there's still another full week to go!!

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you are so appreciative of one of the most important things... no, make that THE most important thing in life; our love and kinship to our fellow humans!

    Aloof and unapproachable? Really?!

    ReplyDelete