Monday, December 7, 2009

Heart and Music



"You gotta have heart and music.
Heart and music make a song."
William Finn

DAY 59:  Well, yesterday was a grateful tribute to theatre ... today it's my other great love, music.  I'm hyper-critical ... I know I am.  If I had a dime for all the times I've heard, "Well, what DO you like?" I'd have ... oh, you know the rest.  I've been listening to a choral "Agnus Dei" based on my absolute favorite piece of music, Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings," for the past couple of days.  I'd like to think that my outspoken, sometimes unwelcome, dislike for music that LOTS of people seem to like is tempered by the depth of my ADORATION for certain pieces of music that move me to the core, like Barber's evocative work of genius.  So here's a short list in no particular order (and I know I'm forgetting MANY other pieces that I'll post later when I remember them!) of the music and songs that literally stir my soul.  They're not all showtunes, either!  Thanks to all the composers and songwriters ...

Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings"
Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" and "The Firebird"
Anything WHATSOEVER sung by Audra McDonald
"Someone to Fall Back On" by Stephen Schwartz
"Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon
"When I Look In Your Eyes" from the original Dr. Dolittle
"Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide (the greatest musical theatre song EVER written)
"Love to Me" from The Light in the Piazza (well, heck, pretty much ALL of that score ;-)
"How Can I Win?" from The Goodbye Girl
"And So It Goes" by Billy Joel
"I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton
"A Quiet Thing" from Flora, the Red Menace
"Endless Night" from The Lion King
"I'll Cover You Reprise" from Rent
"It Don't Make Sense" from Parade
"Losing My Mind" from Follies
"Little Lamb" from Gypsy
"No More" from Into the Woods
"Not a Day Goes By" from Merrily We Roll Along
"Time Heals Everything" and "I Won't Send Roses" from Mack and Mabel
Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring"
"Alone" from Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris
"Brave Enough for Love" from Jane Eyre
"How Could I Ever Know" and "Lily's Eyes" from The Secret Garden
"Finishing the Hat" and "Move On" from Sunday in the Park with George
"Getting Tall" and "Unusual Way" from Nine
"Heaven Help My Heart" and "Someone Else's Story" from Chess
"Come What May" from Moulin Rouge
"Easy to Be Hard" from Hair
"Funeral for a Friend" by Elton John
Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony
"Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar
"Hushabye Mountain" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
"I Remember" from Evening Primrose
The Score to the film October Sky
"You'll Never Walk Alone" from Carousel
"This Nearly Was Mine" from South Pacific
"I Think It's Gonna Rain Today" by Randy Newman
"Not While I'm Around" from Sweeney Todd
"If I Sing" from Closer Than Ever
"Pretty Lies" from Taboo
"Love Who You Love" from A Man of No Importance
"New Words" from In the Beginning
"Since You Stayed Here" from Brownstone
"Tell Me It's Not True" from Blood Brothers
"Time Stands Still" and "I Never Danced With You" from Lunch
"Vincent" by Don McLean
"What I Did For Love" from A Chorus Line
"Louder Than Words" from tick tick BOOM!
"Winter" by Tori Amos
"You Walk With Me" from The Full Monty
"All By Myself" by Eric Carmen
"Colors/Dance," "Longing/Love," "January Stars," and "Peace" by George Winston
"A Simple Song" from Bernstein's Mass
Dvorak's "New World Symphony"
"Out Here On My Own" from Fame
"Send in the Clowns" from A Little Night Music
"I'll Imagine You a Song," "Museums," and "The House That I Grew Up In" by Steven Lutvak
"I Believe My Own Eyes" from Tommy
"How Do I Live" by Diane Warren
"Papa, Can You Hear Me?" from Yentl
"Do You Know What It's Like?" from Zanna, Don't!
"I Don't Believe In Heroes Anymore" from 3 Guys Naked from the Waist Down
"What Would I Do?" and "Father to Son" from Falsettos
"I Won't Mind" by Jeff Blumenkrantz
"Unexpressed" by John Bucchino

And now YOU know that answer to "Well, what DO you like?"

Time to go make a new playlist in iTunes ...

2 comments:

  1. I think I'll make this list my new playlist. I think I've got some downloading to do!

    ReplyDelete