Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Little Christmas



"And so I'm offering this simple phrase,
To kids from one to ninety-two.
Although it's been said many times, many ways ... 
Merry Christmas to you."
Mel Torme and Bob Wells 

DAY 74:  Well, it wasn't EXACTLY Norman Rockwell, but I just spent the evening with my brother (in from South Carolina for a couple of days) and my Mom.  Though our one dinner together as a family over the holidays was just Mom's spaghetti (followed by a rousing game of dominoes with some friends of my mom), it was wonderful to just sit and share the time with them.  We don't get to do it too often and we don't really make that big a deal out of Christmas (no presents change hands ... only on birthdays).  It's been only the three of us for nearly 25 years now (since my dad passed in 1985), but it's a treasure to be part of a blissfully NORMAL, average, everyday small-town New England family without any issues or fireworks.  I'm truly grateful for and love them both very much.  No ... it wasn't Norman Rockwell, but the feeling is the same.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone should have the experience with family that you described. When the dysfunctionalism is kept to a minimum, there's nothing quite as nice as spending time with "your people".

    ReplyDelete