Saturday, December 12, 2009

Liza's at the Palace



"Somebody loses and somebody wins
And one day it's kicks, then it's kicks in the shins,
But the planet spins, and the world goes 'round ..."
Fred Ebb

DAY 64:  I'm still not feeling very well, but I just had the time of my life watching "Liza at the Palace," which I recorded on my DVR Thursday night.  There's nobody quite like Liza.  True, her voice isn't what it used to be, and she can't hoof quite as nimbly as she used to, but at 63 there's nothing quite so electrifying as watching her light up the stage.  From those fabulous standards that we expect from her, mostly Kander and Ebb ("Cabaret," "Maybe This Time," "And The World Goes 'Round," and the incomparable "New York, New York"), to some new tunes I didn't recognize, each turn elicited an immediate standing ovation ... EVERY SONG!  Tell me which other performer can produce that kind of reaction.

It's all about that "connection" with the audience that all of us performers strive to create ... you feel as if you're Liza's best pal, she's singing to you, and there's NOT A DROP of insincerity in her unabashed joy in performing.  Her closing number "New York, New York" had me crying from the simple unadorned piano notes that start the song until the very end ... and the Vegas audience was on their feet the ENTIRE time.

What also struck me about the concert was how simply staged it was ... no lavish costumes, no pyrotechnics or special effects, a nearly bare stage with glitter curtain, and a terrific jazz band.  Most of the performance was Liza standing or sitting at a lone microphone on a stand down center ... that's it ... and that's ALL that was necessary.  She's often imitated, but nothing can match her.  Everytime she mentions "Mamma" or lets the audience in on some self-referential humor (a HUGE pause and wry look after "well, that's what comes from too much pills and liquor"), you're right there with her.

Can't wait to get it on DVD ...

1 comment:

  1. I've seen her 3 times in concert, and what strikes me the most about her is how she acts every song. For me, it's not so much a concert as it is a lot different musical theatre pieces. She's definately an original!

    ReplyDelete