Sunday, December 6, 2009

Telling Stories



"Life is why ... we tell the story
Pain is why ... we tell the story
Love is why ... we tell the story
Grief is why ... we tell the story
Hope is why ... we tell the story
Faith is why ... we tell the story
You are why ... we tell the story ..."
Lynn Ahrens

DAY 58:  So yesterday I spent a large part of my Saturday doing some additional preparatory work on three of the four directing projects I have for 2010, and it struck me what an incredible opportunity I have in presenting such a variety of plays and musicals.  In January, I begin work on two simultaneous projects which both open in early to mid-March.  First, I am directing/staging an evening of Gilbert and Sullivan songs from The Mikado, The Pirates of Penzance, and H.M.S. Pinafore for the Orange Park Chorale.  At the same time, I will be directing a blisteringly-sharp dark comedy by Charles Busch about the company that was performing onstage the evening Abraham Lincoln was shot.  The play is called Our Leading Lady and it will be performed at Theatre Jacksonville. 

Shortly after Our Leading Lady opens, I will be holding auditions for a HUGE production of the astounding Jason Robert Brown musical, Parade, which opens in July at Players by-the-Sea.  It is a thrilling work centered on the early 20th century trial and lynching of a Jewish man in Atlanta unjustly accused of murdering a 14-year-old girl who worked in his pencil factory.  FINALLY, just before THAT show opens, I'll be starting my final directing project for 2010, the hysterical musical The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, opening in September at Atlantic Beach Experimental Theatre.  Three theatres, an evening of witty operetta, a small-cast dark comedy, a moving epic musical tragedy, and a gut-busting (and somewhat naughty) chamber musical comedy.

Theatre is all about telling stories, and I'm grateful that 2010 will provide me four wonderfully-varied opportunities to tell some amazing stories.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bummed I can't do Spelling Bee. I LOVE THAT SHOW!

    ReplyDelete