Sunday, January 17, 2010

1500 Characters


"Matchmaker, Matchmaker,
Make me a match,
Find me a find, catch me a catch,
Night after night in the dark I'm alone
So find me a match of my own."
Sheldon Harnick

DAY ONE HUNDRED!  So ... it should come as no great surprise that I dabble in the world of online dating.  I live in a city that is not, by any means, a major metropolitan center, one with INCREDIBLY limited opportunities to meet people "in my circle."  I'm not a drinker or a dancer, so I'm also not terribly fond of clubs and bars.  I've had first dinners with quite a few "potentials" (and sometimes a second or third), but I'm not sure the "right one" has presented himself.  Perhaps I give up too easily, although there are times when I haven't given up soon enough.  Of course, my close friends would tell you I'm WAY too picky, can't "live for the moment," or let my guard down ... and that's pretty much all true.  But I still don't give up hope ...

What am I grateful for on my ONE-HUNDREDTH POST?  Well, I spent some time today rewriting my online profile.  In the spirit of the New Year of celebrating and embracing the positive and taking care of myself without apologies or self-pity, I decided to give the profile another shot.  And you know what?  It felt pretty good to "toot my own horn" a little more than I'm used to, and I didn't feel phony or contrived doing it.  So, in the interest of full disclosure (heck, that's what this blog is kind of about, isn't it?), I'm sharing my online dating profile with you. 

Renaissance guy looking for a challenge ...
I'm the average all-American type, 6-foot, sandy blonde, deep blue eyes and a great healthy smile.  Folks tell me I'm a good-looking guy who looks about ten years younger than his actual age.  I'm no Adonis, but I've got a LOT more to offer than most guys who think they are.

So ... what do you need to know?  I'm a high school math and science teacher who spends his "downtime" as a theatre director, actor, singer, and fledgling writer and playwright.  I'm an animal lover and supporter, more than a bit of a musical theatre and showtune fanatic, and an admirer of good film (scifi, indies, foreign, animation, and an unfortunate weakness for manipulative romantic comedies).  I have a solid career that I love, own a home, and I'm financially stable.  I have simple tastes, couldn't care less about brand names, and don't mind buying my clothes at Target.

I enjoy my life "in the open" with my family and large group of friends.  I thrive on intelligent conversation and like to surround myself with clever, creative, witty, unique people.  I'm more than a little ambitious, and I can be steadfastly stubborn and opinionated.  But ... that tough, cool, confident exterior hides a generous, sensitive, thoughtful, and kind friend and partner if you're willing to look for him.

I'm ideally looking for someone to challenge me intellectually and maybe give me a push physically so I can shed those "few extra" and find the athletic guy that might be lurking in there somewhere.  I have an incredibly rich, fulfulling, and creative life that I would love to share with someone - someone to complement me, not complete me.  Think you've got what it takes?

2 comments: