Monday, January 4, 2010

8 to 4


"Tumble outta bed
And I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawnin', stretchin', try to come to life ..."
Dolly Parton

DAY 87:  Well, it was hard enough SETTING the alarm for 6 a.m. this morning, but trying to get UP at 6 a.m. was awfully tough.  Yup ... first day back on the payroll after two and a half weeks. It was a pretty good day, all in all ... I'm not going to claim my "new outlook" for the New Year as the reason for the good day (... though I'd like to).  I suspect it was just going into work fresh and rested after a really terrific eighteen days of fun, family, and friends. 
 
Once I managed to get out of bed (which was a bit of a task, I must admit ...), the morning routine went a little smoother than normal, even with a puppy who seemed VERY confused as to why I was up so dreadfully early.  Then it was a REMARKABLY easy drive to school in delightfully light traffic ... I even surprised my classroom "neighbors" by getting to work a little earlier than usual!!
 
I had seen the Math folks twice in the past week - once on New Year's Eve and once on Saturday night for our Maggiano's gluttonous binge - but it was good to see my other colleagues again.  To top it all off, the kids were quite well-behaved and stayed on-task today.  They were probably a little out of practice, though my classes do generally behave well.  I gave all of my classes "seatwork" to do today ... not "busy work" exactly, but time-consuming and important "sneak preview" activities to prepare them for the next unit.  Of course, the nice thing about seatwork is the opportunity to get a LOT of planning done ... and, boy, was I productive today!
 
Nice day ... but please remind me I felt this way come Friday after we've been back for a full week.

1 comment:

  1. It hasn't been a full week already? Feels like it.

    ReplyDelete