Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Pretty How-De-Do



"Everything is a source of fun.
Nobody's safe, for we care for none!
Life is a joke that's just begun!"
William S. Gilbert

DAY 93:  Tomorrow night my theatrical life winds up into full gear once again after being idle for a little more than three months.  It's going to be a BIG 2010 ...

The first project is staging and writing an abridged script for selections from the "Big Three" operettas of Gilbert and Sullivan - The Mikado, The Pirates of Penzance, and HMS Pinafore - for the Orange Park Chorale.  We hold auditions for the nine soloists tomorrow night, after which I'll let the group learn the music for a couple of weeks before returning for a few rehearsals to stage the concert.  I have to admit that I've never been much of a G & S fan, but listening to the shows and helping to decide on a concert program has really given me a new appreciation for the musicals.  I actually kind of like them now ... go figure!!  I'm grateful I've had the chance to become better acquainted with the operettas and I'm definitely looking forward to putting the concert "on its feet" ...

Oh, and have I mentioned that I'll be holding auditions for my NEXT directing gig - Our Leading Lady at Theatre Jacksonville - a week from tomorrow night?  Yup ... they'll be rehearsing at the SAME TIME, with the Theatre Jax show opening just a couple of weeks before the Chorale performances ... WHEW!  Then I'll be jumping IMMEDIATELY into Parade at Players by-the-Sea!

Now THAT'S a pretty how-de-do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment