Monday, January 18, 2010

Taking Sides



"Johnny Booth was a handsome devil,
Got up in his rings and fancy silks.
Had him a temper but kept it level.
Everybody called him Wilkes."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 101:  I'm grateful for a TERRIFIC turnout for my auditions for Our Leading Lady ... about thirty people and some VERY VERY strong contenders for each role!  It was a longer-than-normal evening for one of my auditions, with a lot of juggling of actors and sides (sections of the script for reading).  There are easily two or three possible actors that I would be more than happy to cast for EACH role, including people I've always wanted to direct (many of whom I've acted with on stage), outstanding new performers, and folks that I've directed before that I would love to work with again.  So ... it will make for some extremely tough decisions.  The good news is that I'll have an incredibly strong cast. The bad news is that I'll have to tell a lot of amazing actors "not this time."

1 comment:

  1. That's the downside to casting a show... not being able to re-write the script so that you can take everyone worthy of casting!

    ReplyDelete