Tuesday, January 12, 2010

To Be Continued



"I'm gonna go to the picture show.
There's a movie I've got to see.
You know the one, called 'The Silver Gun' -
Well, I been watchin' since Chapter Three ..."
Jason Robert Brown

DAY 95: "To Be Continued" ... not my favorite words.  I'm a pretty patient man, but it ends at waiting for a FULL WEEK to find out what's going to happen next on my favorite TV show.  So, I'm VERY VERY grateful to the marketing GENIUS that first came up with the idea of boxed DVD sets of TV series. Right now, I'm catching up on the first two seasons of a British scifi series called Torchwood (a spin off ... and ANAGRAM ... of the famous Doctor Who).  Think of it as a lighter X-Files - a covert operation in Cardiff, Wales, whose mission is to keep the public safe from aliens while collecting and studying their devices. 

I've caught up on a lot of TV shows this way. I hadn't seen some of my now favorite shows from the very beginning - only becoming interested in them after a season or two or three had already passed.  Let's see ... there's 24, True Blood, Nurse Jackie, Torchwood, Smallville, Mad Men, and a MANY others.  I've also used DVD collections to finish watching a series I never saw through to the end ... like Six Feet Under, and like I will EVENTUALLY do with Lost once it completes its run (I stopped watching that show out of frustration after the fourth season).

There's a satisfaction in watching one episode after another without a week's pause between, keeping the momentum and the interest alive.  It can, however, make for some very late nights of "just ONE more episode before I go to bed," especially for a show like 24 that ends with a cliffhanger at the end of every hour!

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love synchronicity. I just focused on one new show (on DVD). And I've caught up on many of the same shows in the same way. :-)

    ReplyDelete