Tuesday, January 5, 2010

You Teach Best ...



"Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind ..."

Alan and Marilyn Bergman

DAY 88:  For the uninitiated, I would like to introduce you to the Unit Circle.  Unit Circle ... reader ... reader ... Unit Circle.  Now that you've been properly introduced, all I can say is "Whew!" 

I knew it was coming ... the day I would have to start teaching TRIGONOMETRY.  Now, understand, I don't think I've EVER had a class of trigonometry ... I don't remember it from high school, but I do recall being befuddled by it the first time it appeared in my college Calculus and Physics classes.  I knew a LITTLE bit (simple right triangle trigonometry, which trust me is only a SMALL and EASY portion of the subject) from my high school Physics background.  Now I'm TEACHING the stuff while learning it along the way.  Oh well, they say the best way to learn something is to try to teach it ... or, conversely, "you teach best what you most need to learn."

The old adage certainly proved true today as I dived head-first into the world of the unit circle and radians.  You see, you can measure angles in degrees or radians, and a full circle is 360 degrees, which is also equal to 2-pi radians ... aw ... never mind.  Anyway, my first lesson of trigonometry in my Pre-Calculus class was today and wonder of wonders, I not only survived but, by George, I think they got it!!  Now, if I can just get through the next few chapters/months ... after all, today was just the INTRO!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. Now I understand why I never took Trig. Loved Calc and Algebra, but just your blog made my head hurt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great lab which shows why we call a "sine" wave a "sine" wave if you would like it. Plus dozens of other examples of especially right-triangle trigonometry in electronics. You cannot teach AC electronics without it.

    I love trig - math with pictures!

    ReplyDelete