Tuesday, February 16, 2010

And So It Goes


"In every heart there is a room,
A sanctuary safe and strong,
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along ..."
Billy Joel

DAY 130:  2010 has been a much better year for me so far ... I resolved to stay out of "pity party" mode and have succeeded for the most part.  Sunday was Valentine's Day - a day that would typically send me into a funk - and I barely even noticed it (though I did manage a few sarcastically pointed jabs at the "holiday" on Facebook ;-).  I had a lunch date then a movie date with two (single female) friends and had a MARVELOUS time with both. 

Yesterday I was listening to my "Favorites" mix on my computer while grading papers and posted lyrics to "And So It Goes" and "Someone to Fall Back On" on Facebook (and wrote a blog entry on the latter!).  Both of those lyrics could CERTAINLY be read as being back in the "lonely place," but it really wasn't about that - just lyrics that struck me while I was working on other things.  What I'm grateful for is a BEAUTIFUL message I received from a friend on Facebook ... a Valentine like no other ... and I hope she won't mind if I share it with you (edited just a little to remove the more personal stuff about HER ...) -

"Michael. I've been wanting to send you a heart-to-heart for a while now. To begin with, I've been married for 32 years. I know that he truly would die for me and can't imagine what my life would have been without him.

That said, there are times, reading your posts, that I am SOOO envious of you! You are talented, and kind and SMART. You have smart friends who DO things with you and enjoy your company. You do fun things and are well-respected in a community of people who love you dearly.

I know that you crave that "one special someone" and honestly, as special as you are, I don't know why that hasn't happened for you yet. But there ARE trade-offs. When you make plans, there is always someone else to consider. When you want to do something, or try something or just be left-alone for a while -- there is another person's plans to take into account.

Please don't look too longingly at what you think you're missing. Because you are pretty wonderful where you are!

You're a great friend, a talented and contributing part of the community and a VERY complicated guy! By being an individual, rather than a pair, you have the ability to touch others' lives in a unique and special way!

Happy Valentines Day --- you are a valentine to the world!"

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That *is* special. And Accurate.

    ReplyDelete