Sunday, February 14, 2010

Fill In the Words


"Feel how it quivers,
On the brink …
Everything!
Gives you the shivers,
Makes you think
There's so much stuff to sing!
And you and me,
We'll be singing it like the birds,
Me with music and you the words,
Tell 'em things they don't know!
Up to us, pal, to show 'em ..."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 128:  I've been itching to write a musical for MANY MANY years, but the trouble is that I can't compose music ... heck, I can barely play the piano with a sad one-finger hunt-and-peck method.  So, I recently put out a call on Facebook for a composer and collaborator to help me make this dream a reality and my friend, Aaron, was one of a few people who answered the call.  I had thought about Aaron a number of times ... she is a VERY talented songwriter and performer who has also music directed local shows and has even arranged the music for a couple of original musicals that have been recently staged in town.  In addition, she's definitely an "off-the-beaten-track" kind of artist (and I mean that it the VERY BEST way) who has a unique style which will force me away from a conventional musical theatre product.  We met for lunch today and had a WONDERFUL time batting around ideas we've both had.  I can't give details, but we hit upon an idea (based on one I had been tossing around in my head for years) that gave us both chills.  We are REALLY excited about the concept and the project and CAN'T WAIT to get to work ... I'm grateful that Aaron and I "found" each other as a writing team! 

1 comment: