Friday, February 5, 2010

Rooms


"Late nights in my studio ...
Playing with sound and sonic vision.
Plugging into the rhythm
Of the dissonance I felt inside -
Each minor chord a major test,
A backbeat playing in my chest.
Your smile, your face,
The empty space I call my room.
But I was always one step off my best,
When I was without you.
I was always one step to the left,
Within me without you."
Paul Scott Goodman

DAY 119:  I'm officially in love ... head-over-heels ... with a new musical.  Rooms: A Rock Romance was an off-Broadway hit in 2009, and featured a book and score by Paul Scott Goodman, who created another favorite of mine, Bright Lights, Big City.  The story takes place in the 1970's and concerns the creative and romantic partnership of two Scottish musicians, Monica, an ambitious singer-songwriter, and Ian, a reclusive rocker.  Their musical journey takes them from Glasgow to London to New York City, through love, loss, and reconciliation.  This wonderful two-person musical has a terrific score of songs that range from quietly touching love songs, to heart-wrenching power ballads, to exciting punk rock-inspired tunes.  This is a cast recording I'll be listening to a LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment