Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This Is Only a Test


"School days, school days,
Dear old golden rule days.
Readin' and writin' and 'rithmetic ..."
Will Cobb and Gus Edwards

DAY 123:  For the next couple of months, our teaching lives are consumed with the FCAT (the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test), one of those ludicrously high-stake State standardized tests that seem to be the be-all-and-end-all of EVERYTHING that's done in a school these days.  This morning, I was a "back-up proctor" for the first testing - the Writing portion.  Last night, I got a message from our Test Coordinator saying that one of the regular proctors was sick and I would need to fill in for her.  Yippee ...

I got to school this morning and discovered to my delight that the regular proctor made it to work after all and that I wouldn't have to sub for her.  So, instead of proctoring a full class of testing 10th graders in someone else's classroom, I got to test a SINGLE student in MY room (an ESOL student who had accommodations to test on her own).  You BET I was grateful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment