Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Movin' On Up


"Behold the hills of tomorrow!
Behold the limitless sky!
Fling wide the gates
To a world that waits!
As our journey starts,
Behold! Our hearts are high!"
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 166:  So, it's that time of year when we starting making course recommendations for our students for next school year.  I've been talking to my classes about the math courses I will be recommending for them.  Generally speaking, when a student is in a "Standard" track, he or she usually stays there ... it isn't typically common for many students placed in Standard classes to actually WANT to make the move to the Honors track after having been in the lower track for years.

HOWEVER ... I've had a surprising number of my Standard-level Algebra II students over the past couple of days ASK me to recommend them for the HIGHER math (Pre-Calculus)!  I don't know what to make of it OTHER than I've made them feel more comfortable and/or more successful with math, and they feel they are up to the challenge.  I think part of it may also be that this year I'M teaching some sections of that higher-level math that they're requesting, but even though I warn them that there is FAR from a guarantee of having me as a teacher next year, they still seem to want the class.  I'd like to think I've made the difference ...

I've had a somewhat similar experience with my recommendations for the Pre-Calculus kids.  I wasn't expecting them to all jump at taking AP Calculus next year (the highest possible option for them), but almost ALL of them have!

It's really GREAT to see kids WANTING to push themselves ... and I'm grateful for whatever part I played in that!

1 comment:

  1. that's because you're an awesome teacher... 'nuff said!

    ReplyDelete