Friday, March 12, 2010

No Doubt About It


"When life's all meager scraps,
Don't you use lose heart, sir.
Drop that cleaver,
Grab the old taps, and perhaps
You'll land a meaty part, sir!"
Lynn Ahrens

DAY 154:  About a year and a half ago, I had the incredible opportunity to perform the role of Father Flynn in the play Doubt.  It was a remarkable experience playing a leading role for a change ... prior to this show I was stereotypically cast as the plump lovable loser (Charlie Brown, Horton the Elephant, and others).  This show came at a time when I had shed a LOT of weight and I took the chance of auditioning for the role.  I will be forever grateful to Barbara Evans, Joe Schwarz, and Players by-the-Sea for casting me in this amazing part.

I'm writing about this now because I finally got the chance to watch a little bit of the production on DVD.  The theatre had trouble locating a copy of the DVD recording, but Joe finally found one and handed it off to me last night.  No actor enjoys watching himself perform on DVD, particularly filmed stage productions.  They NEVER capture the live experience or performance.  I was only able to stand myself for a few moments, fast forwarding to the more "explosive" scenes in the play.  But it was GREAT to see the "thinnest" me ... I've put a bit back on and I REALLY needed to see that I looked pretty danged good in that black priest garb.  I SO need to re-shed those pounds!

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were totally fabulous in Doubt, and I didn't even know you then!!!

    ReplyDelete