Monday, April 26, 2010

H-25


"I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy,
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty,
Oily, greasy, fleecy,
Shining, gleaming, streaming,
Flaxen, waxen,
Knotted, polka-dotted,
Twisted, beaded, braided,
Powdered, flowered, and confettied,
Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!"
James Rado and Gerome Ragni

DAY 199:  OK OK, so I'm not too proud to admit it ... in the last few years, I started coloring my hair.  Don't get me wrong ... I'm INCREDIBLY grateful to look much younger than my years.  People are ALWAYS surprised when they hear my age and will often guess a good 10 years below.  It was kind of a curse when I was a child and teen, but now I'm very happy for it. 

I never had any trouble with growing old gracefully - in fact, I certainly don't mind growing old AT ALL.  My life in my 40's has been WONDERFUL compared to the previous two decades.  A decade of discovering and learning to appreciate myself - VERY slowly, of course, and something I still need LOTS of work on, but I'm gettin' there.  Heck, I'm writing a daily GRATITUDE blog! 

Vanity's FAR from an issue for me ... what little self-esteem I have has NEVER included my looks and I've never been a fashion plate or had great expectations about my appearance.  ANYWAY ... at first it was hard to notice the gray since my hair is so sandy blonde, but over the past couple of years, it's become much more noticeable (at least to me).  I finally thought, "to hell with looking distinguished."  So, I picked up a package of "Just for Men" sandy blond and gave it a whirl.  Not too bad, but the gray still peeked through.  I've used that shade a few times now.  Today I decided to go one shade darker ... light brown.  When I was done, it seemed REALLY dark to me, and I was sure that I had screwed up.

But, THANKFULLY, I got LOTS of raves at school today, both from co-workers and students.  I hoped the color wouldn't be that apparent, but it was, and people were complimenting me on how it made me look "tanner" and "younger."  WAY TO GO "light brown"!!

1 comment: