Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pure Imagination


"If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it.
Anything you want to, do it.
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it."
Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley

DAY 190:  If I had to list my top two or three favorite movies of all time, the 1971 musical Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory would be right up there with Monty Python and the Holy Grail and West Side Story.  It is BY FAR the movie I quote the most frequently, and there are SO many marvelous lines and lyrics to be found in this delightful film that still makes me cry like a baby as Charlie Bucket and Grandpa Joe fly high above the city in the glass Wonkavator. 

I've been stuck in Wonka-land today (though it's a TERRIFIC place to be stuck!) after thinking that I had "so much time, so little to do ... strike that, reverse it ..." earlier today.  I'm certain I've been driving my Facebook friends JUST a little nuts with my quoting the movie like CRAZY today.  A SMALL sampling of some of my favorites (though there are MANY MANY more) ...

"I am now telling the computer EXACTLY what it can do with a lifetime supply of chocolate."

"I have just decided to switch the Friday schedule to Monday, which means that the test we take each Friday on what we learned during the week will now take place on Monday before we've learned it."

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous."

"I want the world. I want the whole world. I want to lock it all up in my pocket. It's my bar of chocolate. Give it to me NOW!"

"Of course you don't know. You don't know because only I know. If you knew and I didn't know, then you'd be teaching me instead of me teaching you - and for a student to be teaching his teacher is presumptuous and rude. Do I make myself clear?"

"I bet those Golden Tickets make the chocolate taste terrible."

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

"So shines a good deed in a weary world."

"I feel very sorry for Wonka. It's gonna cost him a fortune in fudge."

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."

"If the good Lord had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates."

"If she's a lady, I'm a Vermicious Knid."

"She was a bad egg."

"Now, don't get excited. Don't lose your head. We don't want anybody to lose that."

"I'll be be the first person in the world to be sent by television!"

"Stop squawking, you twit!"

"And almost everything you'll see is eatable, edible. I mean, you can eat almost everything."

And always remember ...
"Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he he always wanted.  He lived happily ever after."

1 comment:

  1. I think I mentioned this on Facebook too, but for some reason I absolutely love the scenes with Charlie's teacher. Percentages!

    ReplyDelete