Thursday, April 29, 2010

Tipping Point


"I chose and my world was shaken,
So what?
The choice may have been mistaken,
The choosing was not ..."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 202:  In Physics, the "tipping point" is the point at which an object is displaced from its state of equilibrium into a new, different state.  Within the next week, I have to make an ENORMOUS decision.  I referred to the potential choice in a previous post many weeks ago, but didn't give any specifics, especially since the choice hadn't yet officially presented itself.  Since it's no longer MUCH of a secret, I'll share ...

This morning, I was offered a teaching position at a BRAND new high school opening next fall within walking distance of my home.  There are MANY pros and cons to the move ... too many to go into here.  I had kind of let the dilemma fade from my thoughts over the past month or two since my interview, but now the offer has been OFFICIALLY made and I need to make a VERY tough decision.

HOWEVER ... I'm grateful that this is not a choice I have to make out of need or desperation.  I am perfectly content where I am and it's a nice, steady equilibrium that has served me well for 20 years.  In the next week, I'll have to choose whether to "tip" that equilibrium and take a risk.  But, as my dear cousin-in-law Regina told me today ... "Be brave - but not stupid."  I've got a LOT of thinking to do ...

No comments:

Post a Comment