Thursday, April 15, 2010

Veto!


"I'm just a bill.
Yes, I'm only a bill.
And I got as far as Capitol Hill.
Well, now I'm stuck in committee
And I'll sit here and wait
While a few key Congressmen discuss and debate
Whether they should let me be a law.
How I hope and pray that they will,
But today I am still just a bill."
Dave Frishberg

DAY 188:  Florida public school teachers, county School Boards, administrators, parents, and students have been fearing the passage of a bill that has been rammed through both branches of the State legislature over the past month or two.  The horrific Senate Bill 6/House Bill 7189, proposed and supported by conservative Republicans, would have eliminated tenure and consideration of a teacher's years of experience or advanced degrees in determining salary, along with making a teacher's performance evaluation, certificate, and career based on a standardized test given ONCE a year to students that may have NOTHING to do with the teacher's subject matter (and over which a teacher has VERY little to NO control).  The Bill passed both the Florida Senate and House before landing on the Governor's desk for a signature last week.

There has been a LOUD and ACTIVE rallying cry of protest from teachers, parents, and professional education organizations opposing this insulting and destructive legislation that had every teacher worrying about what new career to explore or what new state to move to.  Tens of thousands of e-mails, faxes, letters, and phone calls flooded the Governor's Office and earlier today ...

HE VETOED THE BILL!! 
And, boy, am I GRATEFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment