Saturday, May 22, 2010

Belonging, Part One


"Your lifelong membership is free.
Keep a-givin' each brother all you can.
Oh, aren't you proud to be
In that fraternity,
The great big Brotherhood of Man?"
Frank Loesser

DAY 225: This is a two-part post, because it's the tale of two very different days.  I'm writing it on day two (and pre-dating it), because the first day was only put into perspective after the second day ... and it's another one of those blog posts that's going to be (1) hard to keep positive (well, at least in Part Two) and (2) impossible to adequately put into words.

Today was a really terrific day thanks to an overwhelming and deeply gratifying sense of "belonging." 

The day began with a baby shower for my friend and co-worker, Melanie.  It was an afternoon of incredible companionship, friendship, and LOTS of laughter.  I'm extremely fortunate to be surrounded at work by some of the most wonderful, caring, loving, and supportive people around.  I feel comfortably "at home" with them, I completely belong, I feel I'm at my best with these people, and I can be myself - totally.  It's a particularly joyful feeling.

That was followed, in the evening, by a trip to the theatre.  The play, Talking Heads, was performed by four incredible actresses (and friends of mine) who brought the stories of four lonely British women to vivid life.  In the small Studio Theatre audience, however, were dozens of additional theatre friends, many of whom I had not seen in a while.  When my friend, Gayle, mentioned in the curtain speech the play I was directing for the theatre that would be opening in a couple of months and that I was in the audience, the applause in response felt like one big group hug.  I'm extremely fortunate to be surrounded in the theatre by some of the most wonderful, caring, loving, and supportive people around. I feel comfortably "at home" with them, I completely belong, I feel I'm at my best with these people, and I can be myself - totally. It's a particularly joyful feeling. 

Did you catch the echo?  How many people can claim three very separate "families" that can provide such a sense of belonging?  My actual family, my work family, and my theatre family ... I'm grateful for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment