Monday, May 10, 2010

The Lady, Her Music


"Don't know why there's no sun up in the sky -
Stormy weather ...
Since my man and I ain't together,
Keeps raining all the time.

Life is bare, gloom and misery everywhere -
Stormy weather ... 
Just can't get my poor old self together.
I'm weary all the time, so weary all the time.

When he went away, the blues walked in and met me.
If he stays away, old rocking chair will get me.
All I do is pray, the Lord above will let me
Walk in the sun once more.

Can't go on, everything I had is gone -
Stormy weather ... 
Since my man and I ain't together,
Keeps raining all the time ..."
Harold Arlen

DAY 213:  In the early 80's, I had the once-in-a-lifetime experience of being in the presence of the legendary Lena Horne as she performed her concert The Lady and Her Music.  She was in her youthful 60's at the time, and she was nothing short of brilliant.  There aren't enough adjectives to adequately describe the evening of story and song - stunning, captivating, inspirational ...  I've NEVER witnessed a performance like it and it's one of the few times in the theatre or concert hall that I've ever LEAPT to my feet at the final curtain.

Imagine my heartbreak, then, when I awoke this morning to the news that the breathtaking Ms. Horne had passed away last night at the age of 92.  The word "legend" is tossed around WAY too easily these days, but having the unique and unforgettable opportunity to see her perform live was proof enough for me.  This incredibly beautiful woman blazed trails as a performer and could deliver and style a song like no other.  There was not a dry eye in the house (including mine), when she delivered her signature "Stormy Weather."

Thank you, Ms. Horne and rest in peace ...

1 comment:

  1. Was she really the same age as my Mom??? WOW!!

    ReplyDelete