Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Life's Not Fair


"I love you
A bushel and a peck,
A bushel and a peck,
And a hug around the neck."
Frank Loesser

DAY 221:  A tough evening.  A fellow Chorale member and dear friend, Kathy, lost her only child, a 26-year-old son, in a motorcycle accident last week.  Tonight was the visitation.  I've always had a hard time with death ... its suddenness, its senselessness.  I suspect it has a lot to do with how quickly and unexpectedly my dad was taken from me at a MUCH too early age (both his and mine ...).  Visitations, wakes, and funerals make me particularly uneasy, and it's mostly about how helpless I feel with those who are grieving, especially those who are grieving such tragic and unfair loss.  It feels so inadequate that all I seem to be able to offer is a hug and some insufficient words of love, fellowship, support, and comfort.  I know it's not enough, but it's what I have to give.  I'm grateful to be there for my friend as much as I am able.  I'm also grateful for the comment of another good friend, Jenny, who wrote to me "If anything terrible happened to me, I know a hug from you would make a HUGE difference. That kind of love is what keeps me from feeling lost in this world."

No comments:

Post a Comment