Monday, August 9, 2010

Recognition

"You can be what you choose,
From a mailman to a president.
There are prizes all around you,
If you're wise enough to see:
The delivery boy's on Wall Street,
And the the usherette's a rock star ..."
Stephen Sondheim

DAY 304:  I spent most of the day helping my friend, Lee, put together a PowerPoint slide show for the big Players by the Sea season-ending celebration and Pelican Awards this coming Saturday night.  At the end of each season, many community theatres hold a banquet or party for the volunteers and often give awards for acting, directing, and technical work for the past season.  My show at Players by the Sea, Parade, earned 14 award nominations (and some categories have multiple nominees) - including Best Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Actress, Choreography, Set Design, Lighting, Costumes, Musical Direction, Stage Manager, Young Performer, Cameo Appearance, and Best Production of the Season.  Theatre Jacksonville holds its award ceremony the following week and my production of Our Leading Lady (another show of which I was VERY proud) will be up for numerous technical and acting awards, along with Best Production of the Season.  I've also been nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role at Theatre Jax for my performance as Jack last fall in The Importance of Being EarnestThough I'm not a big fan of theatre awards and I'm somewhat bothered by turning an art form I respect and revere into a competition, I am still so very grateful for the recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment