Monday, August 16, 2010

Thank You, Mr. Brown


"For once in my lifetime,
I feel like a giant,
I soar like an eagle,
As tho' I had wings.
For this is my moment -
My destiny calls me,
And tho' it may be just once in my lifetime,
I'm gonna do great things."
Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley

DAY 311:  I frankly didn't know whether to cry, throw up, or wet myself ... I'm STILL on Cloud 9 after nearly an hour and I think I might NEVER come down.  This is certainly one of the most exciting things EVER to happen to me ...

This afternoon, a comment appeared on yesterday's blog post about the MANY awards that my musical Parade won over the weekend.  You can look back at the post ("Recognition, Part Two!") and look at it yourself, but the comment said it was from "Jason" and read "Congratulations, Michael! To you and your whole team! J."  Now, bear in mind that I don't know anyone named Jason that would leave this kind of a comment on my blog.  There was ONE particular Jason that crossed my mind, but I couldn't possibly even BEGIN to imagine that he would be not only reading my blog, but commenting on it!

His name is Jason Robert Brown, the BRILLIANT composer and lyricist of Parade ...

I had been DYING ALL DAY LONG wondering if this artist whose work I REVERE could possibly have read and responded to my personal blog.  I tell you, it was MIGHTY tough concentrating in my first faculty meeting this afternoon.  A number of my online musical theatre friends shared with me that Mr. Brown will frequently "google" himself and his shows and see what's happening with productions "out there."  So ... I couldn't stand it ANY MORE, and quieted my nerves for just a few moments - long enough to write him an e-mail at the contact address on his website (http://www.jasonrobertbrown.com/).

Within moments, I received a reply and it read:
"Mr. Lipp:



JRB says he indeed left the comment this morning, and he congratulates you all once again on your success, and he thanks you for taking such good care of his music.


All best,
Catherine Davis
Ass't to Mr Brown"

I don't think there are any words to describe my reaction when I read this e-mail ... thunderstruck, stunned, speechless, ... OH. MY. GOD.  I still have a hard time believing it.

My beautiful once-in-a-lifetime Parade experience is now OFFICIALLY complete ... thank you, thank you, THANK YOU, Mr. Brown, for making the day (month, year, decade, lifetime ...) of this humble community theatre director and devoted fan and thank you, AGAIN, for such a THRILLING and IMPORTANT piece of musical theatre!

No comments:

Post a Comment