Thursday, September 23, 2010

Autumnal Equinox



"Try to remember
The kind of September
When life was slow
And, oh, so mellow ..."
Tom Jones

DAY 349:  September 23 ... the Autumnal Equinox ... the official beginning of Fall.  In astronomical terms, it's when the sun's rays are shining directly on the Equator and the length of day and night (at least at the Equator) are the same.  I'm grateful for Fall - it's my favorite season of the year.

When I lived in Connecticut, autumn was marked by a distinct, crisp, and totally refreshing chill in the air ... not frigid cold, but just enough for a light coat and enough to get your blood pumping.  There's a smell of fireplace smoke coming from chimneys and then, of course, there's that INCREDIBLE display of leaves.

I do miss New England autumn ... it's still consistently in the upper 80's and it will probably be a while before there's anything that even resembles "cool."  I'm waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment