Sunday, September 5, 2010

Eight Days a Week


"Eight days a week
Is not enough to show I care ..."
Paul McCartney and John Lennon

DAYS 325-332:  Where did THAT week go to?  EVERY day I knew what I was going to write in my Online Gratitude Journal, but I just never got around to it.  I supposed I could write them all now and post-date them, but that would be cheating ... SO ... I'm going to offer a week's worth of gratitude in short bits!

MONDAY ... Tonight we had our first volunteer audience members as "guest spellers" in our Spelling Bee rehearsal.  It was loads of fun and it sure added a whole new dimension to the show ... we have two more rehearsals this week, and we plan to have a whole new set of volunteer "contestants" each night!  I'm grateful for friends who will take time out of their evenings to give us a hand ...

TUESDAY ... An unexpected evening off the week before a show opens.  We had some conflicts with some cast members this week, so we're only rehearsing three nights this week.  This is VERY unusual for a theatre production, which usually is in a FULL WEEK's worth of run-throughs the week before you open.  I spent a very quiet evening at home and was very grateful for the peaceful solitude.

WEDNESDAY ... When I got to my car after work today, I noticed that one of my rear tires was almost completely flat.  When I put some air in it on the way home, I noticed the head of the nail which punctured the tire.  SO ... I decided to stop by the tire place after stopping by home (and before rehearsal) to take care of it.  Once there, the "tire guy" showed me just how worn and bald my other tires were.  After a few hours and an $800 bill, I headed off to rehearsal on four new rather expensive SUV tires.  I'm grateful that I didn't discover either the damaged or worn tires the hard way ... at 60-70 miles per hour on the highway heading to or from Orlando last weekend!  I'm also grateful that, at 95,000 miles, my car has probably received its last set of new tires.

THURSDAY ... As I mentioned in earlier posts, I've been directing NON-STOP since January - that's three different shows in three different theatres.  The first two were incredibly successful and I suspect this one will be as well, but I'm VERY burned out on directing.  I'm grateful that in just over ONE WEEK, I will be theatre-free and directing-free for at least a couple of months.  I'm definitely looking forward to it!

FRIDAY ... I'm grateful once again to the Gods of Timing - they've offered me District testing all next week while I'm in final production each night for Spelling Bee!  I couldn't have asked for a better "syzygy"!

SATURDAY ... Today, I watched the Lincoln Center revival of South Pacific that I had taped off PBS on my DVR a few weeks ago.  I saw the show in April 2009, and wasn't fond of it - in fact, I found it rather lifeless and dull.  Imagine my delight and gratitude when I was moved and captivated by the taped performance, courtesy of the original performers, particularly Kelli O'Hara as Nellie Forbush.  And, as always, "This Nearly Was Mine" reduced me to tears ...

SUNDAY ... To quote one of my favorite movies - INCONCEIVABLE!  Our Tech Sunday rehearsal lasted LESS THAN TWO HOURS.  That's unheard of, and I'm immensely grateful to have the majority of my day left to relax and enjoy my free time.

MONDAY ... Is there ANYTHING better than a three-day weekend just a couple of weeks after starting the new school year?  Grateful, grateful I am ...

Back with you on Tuesday, after my DAY OFF TOMORROW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment