Friday, September 10, 2010

Never Seen Anything Like It


"Big shows 'n small.
We've seen 'em all.
Even seen performers
Who were ten feet tall!
And of them all,
We'd like to make it very, very clear,
That we've never seen anything 
Like what we've seen here!
We've never seen anything like it in our life!"
Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley

DAY 336:  I'm not quite sure what happened to my DVD of the 1967 film version of Dr. Dolittle (the only REAL version!), but I ordered a replacement from Amazon that arrived a couple of days ago.  Since then, I've been watching it little by little in the few hours I have between work and rehearsal.

Now, I may be extremely picky about my stage musicals, ususally eschewing the more old-fashioned, traditional Rogers-and-Hammerstein-type fare for the more contemporary, minimal, edgy material, BUT give me a BIG BUDGET OLD-FASHIONED movie musical and I'm in HEAVEN! 

I'm grateful for those wonderful old live-action movie musicals, the likes of which we no longer see, particularly those with scores by the Sherman Brothers, Leslie Bricusse, and Anthony Newley.  Is there ANYTHING to compare to Dr. Doolittle, Willy Wonka, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, et al? 

I've never seen anything like 'em in my life!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see someone still enjoying and talking about this film (Dr Doolittle). I'm currently writing a biog of my father (Anthony Newley) and have been amazed at the longevity of some of these very old productions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I was just reconsidering Dr. Doolittle myself recently, Michael, thanks in part to your mentioning it elsewhere. I think the songs hold up quite well, even if the movie is maybe a bit bigger than it needed to be. Maia, nice work from your Dad with this one, both onscreen and off.

    ReplyDelete