Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Time In a Bottle


"But there never seems
To be enough time
To do the things you want to do
Once you find them ..." 
Jim Croce

DAYS 341-347:  Well, I've done it again ... I've let a full week go by without a post in My OhGeeJay.  The days are counting down ... only 18 days left until my Journal's one-year mark.  I've been keeping track of what I wanted to write each day this past week (that I never got around to writing).  A number of them happen to be about time, in one way or another.  Here goes!

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
I can't remember the last time I was really sick ... I'm grateful for a pretty solid constitution.  What's better than that?  How about a cold that lasts TWO DAYS!  I had a terrible sore throat that kept me out of school this past Monday and I was CERTAIN that it would lead to a full-blown cold or flu.  It's standard for the beginning of a school year being surrounded once again by sneezing, coughing, nose-blowing students.  By tonight, though, it is nearly GONE!

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
This "old dog" is trying a new trick this school year.  I'm offering my extra help sessions about an hour BEFORE the first bell two mornings a week.  Now I'm FAR from a "morning person" and this is a very radical idea, I'll tell you that!  It is awfully nice, however, to be able to fly out the door each afternoon following the final bell.  So what am I grateful for?  Since I'm currently theatre and rehearsal-free, I can get to bed quite early so that getting up for the "dark-o'clock" help session is not that much of a trial.

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 17
I'm grateful for the comments I'm already getting from students that run something along the lines of "Mr. Lipp, I've never really learned anything in my math classes until THIS year!"  It's really nice to hear ...

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18
It's been a couple of weeks since I've been free in the evenings and have stopped the late-night post-rehearsal junk-food binging and it's been bothering me a bit that my weight had not budged, particularly since I've started eating a much healthier, organic, vegetarian diet.  The good news?  My weight has started to drop again as of this morning!  I'm grateful my body has finally "figured it out" ...

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 19
Whew!  That was close!  Last night as I was entering a local Best Buy, an "ex" of sorts was exiting on the other side.  I'm fairly certain he didn't see me.  About a year ago, I was dating this person whom I trusted completely and was starting to fall for.  COMPLETELY unexpectedly, I was unceremoniously dumped for someone I discovered this total heel was dating at the same time.  I was incredibly hurt and depressed for a short time.  I'm grateful to say that I did not feel one twinge of ANYTHING when I saw him last night, except maybe for pity.  He was accompanied by the "other guy," and he's HARDLY a looker.

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20
I haven't made a secret of the fact that I do use online dating sites.  I obviously haven't had much success, but I have noticed one thing.  Boy, I look good for nearly 50!  The guys around my age look SO much older than I do.  I'm grateful for looking youthful ... it often surprises people when I tell them my age.  Good Irish and Austrian genes?  Staying out of the sun?  Whatever it is, it works!!

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
Last night was my TWENTY-FIFTH Open House as a teacher.  I've been in the school system for 27 years, but I don't count the two years of temporary insanity that I spent "downtown" in the School Board building.  I'm grateful that I've started to teach children of former students ... it's great to see these "kids" who are now adults with kids of their own and it certainly helps to have built-in supporters (something that's hard to come by with parents these days)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment