Friday, October 1, 2010

Browsing


"For suddenly I can see, the magic of books!"
Sheldon Harnick

DAY 357:  There's something wonderfully calming about a bookstore ... I'm not quite sure what it is.  When I want a little quiet "me" time, but still get out of the house, I run for the local Barnes and Noble.  Now bear in mind, I have a Nook (the Barnes and Noble e-reader) so I'm probably not going to buy anything.  I'm grateful for just browsing ... it's a solitary thing, but not a lonely thing.

As I browse, I make notes of the titles that intrigue me and need to be added to the Wish List on my e-reader.  I wish I had more time to read.  As a lover of words, there's also something almost sacred about being surrounded by all those books.  Each jacket synopsis is an invitation to a new world ... and I want to jump in right away. 

The jacket covers also elicit another reaction - the need to write.  It's a strong need that I have, though one for which I don't give myself nearly enough time ... well, beyond this blog.  Each story makes me think, "what a great idea ... why didn't I come up with that?"  Or better yet, "I could come up with something like this ..."

Finally, my trips to the bookstore serve a slightly more personal purpose.  I always notice lots of other single guys browsing just as I am, and I have to think that some of them are other solitary men like me.  Intelligent, literate, lovers of words.  I usually don't make eye contact and I'm never the first to engage a stranger in conversation - my mother seems to have that gift, but I never got it.  And, need I mention that I am CLUELESS when it comes to reading "signals," even if there were any? 

Bottom line, though, I suspect most are finding that same tranquil "me" time ... and I shouldn't interfere.

No comments:

Post a Comment